Tuesday, October 4, 2011

[RE] A College Course

So this year I am taking four courses in high school and one course at the community college. This special part-time enrollment in a college class is a unique experience that I am happy to take with me to university next year.  I have taken several college courses before, but this is the first time I am taking a course during the academic school year.
Christopher Lam really wants to get into a good university! Having taking a college course during high school sounds so hard and impossible to me. But to Chris, its easy. I have never met anyone anyone taking a college course while there in high school. Most people would take a course during summer. The class he is taking is Calculus three. He really enjoys being in that class! What really amazes me is that he doesn't complain or regret making his choice on this. If I were to be like him, I would immediately fail. I already have to handle my classes in high school and taking a college course would seem too much work. Now if I were a senior like he is, I still won't take a college course. Sure you get a free period in school, but won't you get tired? This guy right here is what I call an overachiever.

I once took a college course, and that was during this summer. My friends and I were planing to take a writing class, but apparently something happened. We took the test, met the counselors and figured out there was no more room. They say we have to go there the first day and the teacher will talk about it. Once roll call was taking, there were people missing. It was an opportunity for us, but then something came up. During break my two friends say they quit because they don't have the energy to take the class. I was mad cause I would be alone, but they persuaded me to leave also. Eventually we all left in the middle of class, didn't tell the counselors, we just walked out. I regretted doing that, but I got over it since I found community service to do, which is All-Star Academics. Well I learned my lesson, never take a college class unless you have the energy to do so. 

2 comments:

  1. Don't assume it's easy for Chris! He works very hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David,
    I can't believe I had not commented on this post. My apologies! I recall reading it once, but apparnetly I didn't comment back.

    Now that the class is over, I can reflect on some of my experiences. I had an amazing time; I made some great friends, got a taste of college, and had an amazing teacher who taught me some interesting material.

    Needless to say, I apreciate taking the time to read my post and write a response. I enjoyed reading your "experience" with a community college class, even if it didn't work out so well...

    I would have to say, I think taking the college course during the Fall was a lot easier than taking classes in the Summer; being that there are sixteen weeks instead of six weeks to learn the entire class. But then you also have hs coursework, too. Kinda hard to win either way.

    I wish the best of luck in your future academic studies!

    Chris.

    ReplyDelete